Before you let your psoriasis become a bigger problem than you can handle on your own, consider some of the psoriasis home remedies that are available to you. No one should have to endure non-contagious symptoms such as dry scalp, silvery-white flakes, intensely annoying itchiness and dryness, dandruff-like flaking, soreness, and a constant burning sensation.
Thankfully, you don’t have to. There are plenty of psoriasis home remedies that can eliminate your dry, inflamed, scaly patches of skin.
Home Remedies For Psoriasis
Using moisturizers and living a healthy lifestyle can go a long way towards preventing psoriasis. However, if you find yourself dealing with an outbreak, try a few of these psoriasis home remedies out:
- Hydrate your skin: Sometimes, treating psoriasis can be as simple as taking a long bath or shower. Hydrating the skin can go a long way towards softening and removing dry, irritating scales. Regular soaking can also help your body to fight itching and lesion redness. Make sure to use a moisturizer immediately after soaking, as taking frequent baths or showers can remove your body’s natural oils. You can also consider adding oatmeal, Epsom salts, Dead Sea salts, and oil to your baths.
- Moisturizers: It’s a good idea to moisturize after taking a bath or shower, but keeping your skin healthy with a good moisturizer is a good idea in general. Moisturizing your skin can prevent dry skin, and keep skin that is already dry from cracking, bleeding, and becoming infected. As dried plaques from psoriasis can make moving certain parts of your body difficult, using a moisturizer is also good for maintaining skin flexibility.
- Humidifiers: Dry conditions can lead to dry skin, so consider putting a humidifier in the rooms you spend the most time in.
- Exercise: Slimming down even a little can actually help psoriasis less uncomfortable and much easier to control.
- Apple cider vinegar: Using apple cider vinegar to treat a multitude of skin inflammations and minor burns is not a new concept. It should definitely be one of the psoriasis home remedies you try. It also works as a disinfectant. Add 1 cup of apple cider to 1 gallon of water, and apply to the affected area with a washcloth has been soaked in it.
- Warm olive oil: You can soften and remove those irritating scales by warming up a little olive oil, and applying it to the affected area.
- Aloe: A bottle of pure aloe vera gel can be great for clearing away psoriasis plaques. For smaller areas, you can purchase an aloe leaf, split it open, and use the gel to treat smaller areas of psoriasis plaques.
- Cortisone: There are several over the counter cortisones available, so consider a topical medication for those particularly painful/uncomfortable psoriasis plaques. You may want to consider asking your doctor about this, and you should definitely follow all of the directions carefully.
You don’t have to suffer through psoriasis. Using readily available remedies, you can actually do something about the problem.